Monday, June 17, 2013

"Shut Up and Paint"

I cannot help the perfection seeking person residing inside me. The thing is, not everything I do has to be perfect, just the things I hold dear, like writing, painting, managing a restaurant and working out. I guess that's why I moved away from painting. The painter I admired the most was Alex Kanevsky. His paintings are perfectly incomplete. When I was painting, I failed to give myself the necessary failures to actually grow as a painter. Part of learning is failing and I wasn't too good at allowing myself to do just that.

With my body I can strive towards a more healthy, perfect body and that, for me, is art. Most importantly, I allow myself to make the art. I accept any failures or shortcomings due to sickness, injury or depression as obstacles that I must overcome, for my health and art's sake. In the past, when I was painting, perceived shortcomings stopped my whole practice. Now, moving forward is an absolute necessity. Failure to do so will negatively affect my health and my art. Failure is not an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment