Friday, September 27, 2013

John Cage's 4:33

John Cage was an American experimental composer. He famously had his ensemble play nothing. This piece, void of any musical instruments, is known as 4 minutes and 33 seconds. The audience is suppose to hear the environment as it is when the piece is being "performed."

This is performance art. Cage activated the audience and gave them a memorable experience that challenged one's notion of what a performance can be.

What I can appropriate from this?

My work with stasis has me standing still or "doing nothing," and an in-depth look at Cage's piece will take one's focus away from the orchestra altogether, shifting the focus to audience shared experience. This could prove important to master in my own work, because there may be times when I do not want myself to be the subject of the attention, and rather have the audience either knowingly or unbeknownst take center stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment