Thursday, September 19, 2013

Marina Abramovic Institute

Planning for the Marina Abramovic Institute (MAI) is well underway as seen in this video by the artist. The mission "is dedicated to the presentation and preservation of long durational work." Marina goes on to say, "You come here not to just to see the work but to change yourself through the work."

MAI is asking the world if this is the future. Nothing like this exists. The chance for meaningful change to take place in someone's life when they surrender their time and the outside world is an extraordinary prospect.

What I can appropriate for my practice is thinking about the lasting effect my work will have on people's lives. With my pull-up bar installation I will hopefully be introducing someone to this movement for the first time, and possibly creating a lifestyle of fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment